Community Preschool Logo
Community Preschool

 

 








 


Community Day Nursery/Community Preschool

1942 to Present

Click picture for
a larger image
of the children.

If you can identify any of the individuals in these photos, please e-mail us - we would love to hear from you.


December 8, 1942 Community Preschool was created as part of the Child Care Committee, a local sponsoring agency for the Lanham Act War Nurseries of Pinellas County. Nursery care was restricted to the children of mothers employed in war work and war-allied work.



August 1945 war nurseries were dropped from the Federal budget but continuing need was apparent



October 15, 1945 opened in the Defense Building



On April 24, 1949 a groundbreaking ceremony was held. Later that year we moved to the First Methodist Church's recreational hall as a temporary home until a new building was completed on the approach to the Pier.



In 1949 the Child Care Committee was legally incorporated as a non-profit agency.




The Child Care Center near the St. Pete Pier, 1957

On Oct 2, 1949, an Open House was held at the new Child Care Center near the Pier.

In 1963 the City of St. Petersburg informed the Child Care Committee that the Nursery would have to be moved to make room for Waterfront Development.




June 15, 1968 Opening Dedication took place for a plot of land adjoining St. Bede's Episcopal Church. Monies for construction were obtained through sale of the building on the Pier, and through many community donations.



Front of Community Preschool in ???

 

Community Preschool, 2003



During the years the Agency continued to address the needs of the children of the Community. Funding sources were expanded to include United Way, USDA Child Care Food Program, Department of Children and Families' Subsidized Child Care Programs, Refugee Program, Project Independence, City of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Juvenile Welfare Board Capital Purchase Grants, and numerous fund raisers to supplement. In 1981, the name of the agency was changed to Community Preschool, and the corporate name became Preschool Experience, Inc.

Community Preschool continues to develop, grow and change, and today we are proud of the quality of both our facility and program. Community Preschool has 60 years of caring for the children of this Community. With the continued support of our dedicated Board of Directors and Staff, we anticipate 60 more years of dedicated service to the families and children of St. Petersburg.

A more detailed history is available.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view this file. To download a FREE copy, click on the icon, and when another window appears, click on the identical icon.